Sexual Harassment in the Entertainment Industry
20+ Years’ Experience Standing up for Victims in Hollywood & Across the Nation
Sexual harassment is rampant in the entertainment industry, where wealth and status make individuals feel as if they can get away with using their power to say and do what they want. At KMD Law, our sexual harassment lawyer has been fighting back against such individuals for over two decades.
If you’ve been the victim of sexual harassment at the hands of a member of the entertainment industry, we are ready to fight for you. Founding attorney Keith M. Davidson has challenged and defeated powerful figures in Hollywood in the past, and he is willing to do it again for you.
How Do I Know If I Have a Harassment Case?
Many misconceptions surround sexual harassment because instances of it tend to fall into a grey area. People often try to shrug off sexual harassment as a compliment or a joke. What one person perceives as a violent comment or action might not bother another individual. With all the "he said, she said" involved, it can be difficult for a supervisor, jury, or other party to determine who—if anyone—was at fault.
A Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll from 2017 revealed some interesting perceptions on harassment:
- 47% of Americans believe unprompted compliments on appearance don’t count as harassment
- 44% agreed dirty jokes don’t qualify as harassment
- 1 out of 10 people admitted they were unsure if non-consensual touching counted as harassment
The only person who can decide if harassment occurred is the victim. If someone’s non-consensual comments or actions have had a negative effect on you, that’s harassment—whether that person intended to have that effect on you or not. Even if you’ve only experienced a single instance of harassment, it counts.
What Constitutes Sexual Harassment in the Entertainment Industry?
Sexual harassment in the entertainment industry can encompass various behaviors and actions. It generally refers to unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, or other verbal, physical, or visual conduct of a sexual nature that interferes with an individual's work or creates a hostile, intimidating, or offensive environment. Some specific examples of what constitutes sexual harassment in the entertainment industry include:
- Unwanted sexual advances or propositions from colleagues, superiors, or industry professionals.
- Inappropriate comments, jokes, or gestures of a sexual nature.
- Offensive or sexually explicit material, such as explicit photographs, videos, or written content.
- Sexual coercion or pressure for favors, promotions, or career opportunities.
- Displaying or circulating explicit or sexually suggestive material in the workplace or at industry events.
- Creating a hostile work environment through persistent unwelcome sexual advances, comments, or behavior.
- Retaliation against those who refuse or report instances of sexual harassment.
The entertainment industry may be infamous for cases of sexual harassment, but it doesn’t have to be. Thanks to the #MeToo and #TimesUp movements, brave individuals are speaking out about injustices every day. If you’re ready to break your silence, we’re here to help.
Don’t suffer alone. contact us now to speak with a sexual harassment lawyer who is willing to fight for you.