Los Angeles Child Sex Abuse Attorney
Defending Those Who Can’t Defend Themselves
Recent scandals involving the Roman Catholic Church and Boy Scouts of America have shed light on the pervasiveness of child sexual abuse and molestation in the United States. In studies conducted by the Child Molestation Research & Prevention Institute, it is estimated that 1 in 5 girls and 1 in 10 boys will be victims of sexual abuse by the time they become teenagers.
On This Page:
- Compassionate & Confidential Representation
- Who Can Be Held Accountable for Child Sexual Abuse?
- The Impact of Sexual Abuse on Children
- It's Not Too Late to Hold Your Abuser Accountable
- What Damages Can Be Sought in a Child Sexual Abuse Lawsuit?
- Empowering Survivors of Child Sex Abuse
Sexual abuse of a child is an extremely serious matter. At KMD Law, our lawyers treat such abuse cases with the urgency and gravity they deserve and are committed to fighting with every resource we have to secure justice for our clients in Southern California and across the nation. Our team has faced formidable opponents in high-stakes legal situations and have helped many survivors of sexual assault find the closure they need to heal after such a traumatic experience.
"My counselor raped me after convincing me to trust him. It nearly ruined my life. Until I took charge and fought back. I could not be happier with my decision to hire KMD Law. They guided me through the legal and emotional challenges of going up against a billion-dollar institution. We took them down! Now finally I can begin to move on." - Real Client
Many children are taught from an early age to be vary of strangers, yet the vast majority of child sex abuse cases in Los Angeles involve someone the child knew. These perpetrators can be family members, neighbors, coaches, pastors, baby-sitters, teachers, or anyone who has consistent interaction with the child.
At KMD Law, our lawyers don't just settle for pursuing legal action against the sexual abuser, but the institution or organization that failed to protect the child from molestation and abuse, including:
- Athletic clubs
- Boy and Girl Scouts of America
- Youth camps
- Entertainment studios
When you come to KMD Law, you can trust that our team of Los Angeles child sex abuse lawyers will thoroughly investigate your sexual abuse case to determine who should bear the burden of responsibility for the abuse you have experienced.
Childhood sexual abuse has been proven to have a profound impact on the victim's life for years to come. The short term effects of child abuse may include behaviors like:
- Anxiety and depression
- Nightmares and difficulty sleeping
- Outbursts of anger
In the long-term, the trauma of childhood sexual assault can result in a variety of serious mental health disorders for the survivor that prevents them from obtaining gainful employment and generating healthy adult relationships and connection.
Many children who are victims of sexual abuse do not have the courage to speak out, or, were not fully aware that they were subject to sexual abuse until later in life. At this point, it may be too late to file criminal charges against your abuser, but there is still hope that you can receive justice through a civil lawsuit. In fact, California recently extended the statute of limitations for civil child abuse cases.
The new statute of limitations entails:
- A survivor of child sex abuse can file a lawsuit until the age of 40, or, within 5 years of discovering the assault as an adult.
- For any type of sexual abuse claim that previously passed the statute of limitations, survivors have until January 2023 to file a lawsuit.
- If the child abuse was attempted or successfully covered up, courts have the power to award triple the damages.
In a child sexual abuse lawsuit in California, various types of damages can be sought. These may include:
- Compensatory Damages: These are intended to compensate the victim for the harm suffered. They may cover both economic and non-economic losses, such as medical expenses, therapy costs, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive Damages: In certain cases, punitive damages may be sought. These are intended to punish the perpetrator for their misconduct and deter others from engaging in similar behavior. Punitive damages are awarded in addition to compensatory damages and are based on the severity of the wrongdoing.
- Past and Future Loss of Earnings: If the child's earning potential is impacted by the abuse, damages may be sought to compensate for the loss of past and future earnings.
- Rehabilitation and Therapy Costs: Child sexual abuse often necessitates ongoing therapy and rehabilitation. Damages can be sought to cover the costs of these services.
- Legal Costs: The legal fees and costs associated with pursuing a child sexual abuse lawsuit may be recoverable as part of the damages.
It's important to consult with an experienced child sexual abuse attorney in Los Angeles to understand the specific damages that can be sought in your case and to determine the appropriate course of action based on the circumstances involved.
The Los Angeles child sex abuse lawyers at KMD Law believe nothing empowers survivors of sexual abuse more than seeing their abuser held accountable for the physical and psychological pain they have caused. We know it's difficult to come forward and expose childhood sex abuse, but our team is here to support you and protect the sensitive nature of your sexual abuse case.