Understanding the Prevalence of Sexual Assault
Although the “me too” movement has spiked the awareness of sexual assault in the United States, more work needs to be done — and the statistics speak for themselves.
According to The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC), it is estimated that 734,630 people nationwide experienced rape or attempted rape. 81% of women and 43% of men in the U.S has experienced sexual harassment or assault in their lifetime. Read on to get the facts about the prevalence of sexual assault in the U.S.
Sexual Assault Against Women and Men
- 1 out of every 5 women in the U.S. has experienced rape or attempted rape during their lifetime.
- 1 in 3 girls has experienced rape or attempted rape for the first time between 11 and 17.
- 51% of female victims reported rape by an intimate partner and 40.8% by an acquaintance.
- 24.8% of men in the U.S. have encountered contact sexual violence of some form in their lifetime.
- 1 in 4 boys has experienced rape or attempted rape for the first time between 11 and 17.
- 52.4% of male victims reported rape by an acquaintance and 15.1% by a stranger.
- 1 in 4 female college undergraduates has experienced sexual assault or misconduct at 33 major universities in the U.S.
Source: National Sexual Violence Resource Center
When You Need Help Speaking Out Against Your Perpetrator
At , we understand the challenges that come along with speaking out about sexual assault. It can be an intimidating experience, especially when society often places blame and shame upon the victims. Our attorneys are passionate about advocating for the rights of sexual assault survivors. We know that sexual assault is never the victim’s fault.
Our legal team is here to guide and support you every step of the way. We will help you hold your perpetrators accountable for their heinous actions and ensure you receive the compensation you rightfully deserve.
Contact us today at (833) 456-3529 to learn your rights.