While you are probably well aware, L.A. sits on top of the list of cities with most traffic in the United States. In fact, L.A. drivers spend an average 102 hours sitting in traffic during peak travel times. With all the congested traffic and angry drivers making their way through the city of Los Angeles, you never know when you might find yourself in a serious car accident.
Below, we review the statistics for car accidents in Los Angeles and other California cities:
- In 2016, 490,168 accidents were reported in California.
- 3,842 people were killed in car accidents in 2016.
- 278,585 California drivers were injured in car accidents in 2016.
- 12% of the nation’s car accident-related deaths occur in California.
- Since 2013, car accident deaths have increased by 28%.
- Los Angeles is the most dangerous county in California when it comes to accident fatalities and injuries, totaling 82,437 deaths and injuries in 2016.
- 32% of drivers tested positive for some type of drug in all fatal accidents in California.
- Fatal accidents in the state have increased by 17.5% since 2011.
- Fatal accidents caused by drunk drivers have increased by 36.8% since 2011.
- Since 2011, pedestrian fatalities have increased by 36.9%.
- 61% of accidents in the state of California take place in urban areas.
- 40% of drivers admit they check their texts and emails when they are behind the wheel.
- 80% of car accidents are the result of distracted drivers.
Tips for Reducing Car Accidents in Los Angeles
Following these tips can reduce your risk of being in a car accident:
- Put your phone and other devices away before you start to drive.
- Always follow posted speed limits and road signs.
- Always wear your seatbelt.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol.
- Be alert and pay close attention to the road and your surroundings.
Consult with a Car Accident Attorney Today
Have you been seriously injured in a car accident? Do you need help recovering compensation for your injuries and other accident damages? At the Beacon Law Firm, we are committed to assisting clients with their accident cases, and we are prepared to use our skills and resources to fight for you. Let us take a look at your case today so we can get started building your legal strategy.
Call (833) 456-3529 to schedule your free case review with a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer.